The Palm Beach County League of Cities, Inc. is pleased to announce the 2012 William A. Cruickshank Scholarship program to promote and provide financial assistance to those pursuing areas of study that benefit municipal government professionalism.
Who is William A. Cruickshank? William A. Cruickshank was a former Boca Raton Councilman and President of the Palm Beach County League of Cities, Inc. from 1973-1974. He was the first full-time Executive Director of the (then-named) Palm Beach County Municipal League.
What is the William Cruickshank Scholarship? In tribute to Mr. Cruickshank, the League established a scholarship in his name, with Palm Beach County member cities contributing to a fund in order to promote education in the area of public service. Study areas eligible for scholarship participation are: Public Affairs, Political Science, Criminal Justice, Public Safety, Public Administration and Urban & Regional Planning (including Engineering associated with these areas).
Scholarship Available: The Cruickshank Scholarship program provides up to $1,000.00 in individual scholarships for expenses associated with academic endeavors to qualified high school seniors, municipal employees, and others pursuing continuing education in these fields. Preferential consideration will be given to individuals demonstrating a dedicated pursuit towards a career in governmental, public service and or public administration, as evidenced by involvement in course of study, work and volunteer service or internships in public, governmental, community and/or legislative environments.
Scholarship Awards: The League’s Scholarship Committee reviews all submitted, complete applications and selects a list of finalists for direct interviews. Upon completion of the interviews, the committee makes the final selection(s) of one or more candidates to be awarded scholarships. The selection and awarding, or not, of scholarships is entirely at the discretion of the committee and their decision is final. The committee takes both need and merit into consideration.
Eligibility Requirements for High School Seniors:
1. Applicant must be a graduating senior in a Palm Beach County high school and must maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average in academic subjects, demonstrate excellent communication skills, show maturity in judgment and purpose, and have a career objective of management or service in the public service field.
2. Grade transcript must be submitted with application or prior to application deadline.
3. Applicant must provide two (2) letters of recommendation: one from the student’s guidance counselor and one from a member of the community who is familiar with the applicant’s character.
4. Applicant must write a one-page essay as described on the application.
5. Applicant must be available on the date of the interview to be considered for the scholarship.
Eligibility Requirements for Municipal Employees:
1. Applicant must have been employed a minimum of 12 continuous months and currently employed by a municipality in Palm Beach County. Any municipal or associate member of the Palm Beach County League of Cities can sponsor the applicant or the applicant can apply directly to the Scholarship Committee.
2. Applicant must have received an excellent performance rating in a governmental work environment, demonstrate excellent communication skills, show maturity in judgment and purpose and have a career objective of management or service in the public service field.
3. A current performance evaluation must be submitted with the application.
4. Applicant must provide two (2) letters of recommendation: one from the applicant’s work supervisor and one from a member of the community who is familiar with the applicant’s character.
5. Applicant must provide a copy of the municipality’s tuition reimbursement policy (if any).
6. Applicant must explain in writing how the scholarship will benefit him/her.
7. Applicant must be available on the date of the interview to be considered for the scholarship.
Incomplete applications will not be forwarded for consideration.
February 3, 2012........ Deadline for receipt of applications (postmarked by)
February 24, 2012...... Selection of finalist candidates
March 2, 2012............ Interviews and selection
April 25, 2012............. Recognition of recipients at the League of Cities General Membership Meeting
Palm Beach County League of Cities, Inc.
P.O. Box 1989, Governmental Center
West Palm Beach
Or submitted electronically in .pdf form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please contact the League office at (561) 355-4484 or email@example.com .